Sunday, February 17, 2008

Random Memories: Wild Horses

My mind is always wandering - usually some place where it shouldn't. Whether it's meandering nostalgically in the past or wondering fearfully about the future. It's never in the present. It's never thinking about where I am at or what I am doing. The older I get, the worse it gets. Even writing has become a pain as I can barely sustain a clear thought long enough to write a single sentence. Yes, I am the owner of a wild,
undisciplined mind and it's caused me more trouble and grief than I care to think about.

For some reason, I don't know perhaps a random neuron fired off into the frontal lobe of my brain brought me back to the early 1990s in San Francisco. I started thinking about graffiti that I used to see in the Mission District where I grew up and lived. I didn't particularly care for graffiti but there was one artist, whose work caught my attention and imagination. The artist was called Reminisce and the images bombed on city walls were white horses in varying poses. So recently I just Googled it and found photos and learned more about Reminisce aka REM, who is actually an artist and sculpture named Ruby Rose Neri.

I had always wondered who was making these pieces and now because of the internet, I know. I don't know what it was about those pieces that struck me. Maybe it was the color, the size, or the illusion of movement. I have no idea but I still remember them all these years later.

No comments: