Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Eighties....I'm livin' in the Eighties...

Yes...I lived through the 80s and I loved every awkward, pimple-covered face moment. Well, I really didn't, but this was the Guero in 1986. Punk Rock was already dead and I was a straight-out poseur but I was just about to graduate after 12 years of Catholic education so I just didn't give a flying fuck anymore. I liked Jimi Hendrix, The Stones, The Beatles (John Lennon was my fucking hero)and Bob Marley but I hated the hippie, especially those old peace and love burn-outs who stunk up and littered the the Haight and Golden Gate Park 20 years after their failed scene was over. I was a real piece of shit. I had a bad attitude back then and I was an angry, angry young man but hey...I'm all better now!

The leather jacket was borrowed from my friend Gene who was probably too busy cruising the the EL or getting royally shit-faced and moshing it up while watching his favorite local band, Metallica or some other speed-metal maniac band.

Notice the ripped t-shirt that I bought on Haight Street. It's an R. Crumb reproduction of his famous Tommy the Toilet sign. I was soooo counter-culture dude.

Funny because less then a year after this, under the influence of my talented friend Matt, I started getting into Hip-Hop. They wouldn't even play rap on the radio back then, except late at night or only on local station KPOO. Eric B and Rakim, LL Cool J, EPMD, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys and too many others to mention. The Golden Age of Hip-Hop had arrived just in time....the 80s were starting to get boring.

No comments: