Tuesday, September 30, 2008

¡JULIETA ESTÁ LLEGANDO!

So I'm very excited that Julieta Venegas is coming to play at the Warfield this October 11th. Just so you know, the Güero is not a big fan of concerts; I'm fast becoming an old man and I don't dig on large crowds or loud music any longer, but I feel like this concert is a must-go event. I've loved this woman's music since I first heard it on a Spanish language radio station in 2005, while spinning my wheels in San Diego. I couldn't make the show she played at the Wiltern in LA and I didn't see her in San Diego either, so now this is my chance.

There are of course other, possibly more edgier Mexican singer/song writers, like Ximena Sariñana(also an actress) out there and it's really not wise to compare but I just really think Venegas is at the top of her form. She doesn't sport that "Sabado Gigante"-style sexiness; nor has she starred in any tacky telenovelas. I admire that because it's all about her music. It's her music and intelligence that make her so appealing and attractive. She is sexy to me but not in that obvious way, like Paulina Rubio, shaking her junk all about (Not that there's anything wrong with that!). Just look at the photo (top left)...I think she's hot and looks muy chida with that accordion!

And yeah...it's a God-rotten, pathetic shame that I don't speak Spanish either but it's never stopped me from enjoying her music, and from what I've read, half of her audience in LA were non-hispanic whiteys which tells me that I'm in large company. Yes, yes...I'm half Mexican but my family has been residing in Gringolandia so long now that for all intents and purposes, I'm just another big gabacho. However, I do understand some of her lyrics and what I don't understand, I just Google.

The work for me now is to convince some one to accompany me to the show. My wife could not care less and doesn't want to go and it's difficult to get friends to commit. My son said he'll go so maybe it will be just me and the boy.

Well enough already... so here's a little video from her MTV Unplugged concert a few months back. If you seem interested you should check the whole album out, it's one best live albums for the year...I think.


Julieta Venegas - El Presente (Unplugged) 2008



No comments: