Thursday, May 29, 2008

ADDICTED TO MATCH GAME

I don't know what it is about the re-runs of Match Game from the 70s but I can't get enough. I remember watching it with my mom when I was a kid and I enjoyed it then as well, even though I didn't quite understand all the double entendres.

Normally I don't care for game shows but something about the looseness and informality of Match Game relaxes me, almost soothes me! Maybe it's because I 'm under a tremendous amount stress right now. I don't know.

Gene Rayburn, was a class act and made it all look easy. I don't think the show would have been as successful as it was without him. It's truly amazing that despite the fact these shows were taped over thirty years ago, they remain as entertaining, if not more so, than anything else that's on TV today. The humor is still spot-on and at times just downright subversive.

Brett Somers, Charles Nelson Reilly, Richard Dawson and rest of the regulars and semi-regulars were all true pros and it was obvious that everyone was just having a really good time, as if they were at a party. I think the mood they set was/is infectious to the viewers, because one feels like they are sharing the good time right along with them. The only problem I'm having, of course, is that GSN doesn't run them enough. I swear sometimes I hear the music from the show playing in my head. I'm hooked. Match Game is my therapy!!

No comments: